Strawberry Self-Picking Experience at Thorslunda självplock, Stockholm, Sweden.

Word 'självplock' in Swedish means 'Self-Picking' in English. Strawberries are called Jordgubbar in Swedish. I wish, this helps any Non-Swedish speaking people to understand the word when seeing/hearing first. 😁

Desire

Always when reading about travel to western countries I always loved the concept of Self-Picking. The thought of Self Picking fruits, vegetables, berries all excited me. 

Since I traveled to Stockholm recently, Finally I had opportunity to try on Self-Picking. 

Achieved:

I heard about different places in Stockholm where places offer Self-picking of different vegetables like Cabbage, Lettuce, Spinach and Fruits like Raspberry, Fig, Strawberry etc. But I chose to visit a convenient place for me personally to travel, which is 'Thorslunda självplock'.  It had Strawberries and a vegetable called Rhubarb.

I would like to share my experience on that day, when I visited the place for picking tasty Strawberries. Along with some tips. 😉

Season:

Strawberries are generally available in Summer season. In Stockholm it is from June to August. Hence Strawberries are expected from June and goes till July. It also depends on the Harvest level of the Farm. So its always better to check before visiting. 

Plan

The moment I caught up the location and its pictures, my eyes are wide-opened and wanted to give a try immediately. 😬

So made a plan immediately to go along with my Kiddo. Took enough water, foods and snacks to enjoy little picnic around the spot. 

Travel

Traveled from Brommaplan till Torslunda for 1 hour approximately and reached the place. For travel usual SL ticket cards are enough. 

All the way along the travel, we can see many fields with Wheat harvest etc. Horses and lakes with boats are in sight to enjoy as well. 

Entrance

Entrance has a welcoming board, along with a Cafe to have snacks. It has a Parking adjacent to it. Also a mobile toilet.  

Valkommen
I had a small talk with staff members available in the Cafe, they guided me the way to Rhubarb farm and Strawberry farm. 

Cafe

Strawberry farm: 

Farm is available bit inside from the entrance. Once reached there, staff members are available in a counter. They are friendly, welcomed and helped us with boxes and a fine place for picking strawberries. Also explained us on our queries, if any. We were pretty comfortable in the farm, since the staff members are not too nosy if we are tasting the fruits or not. 

The Farm

(I skipped Rhubarb picking, as I did not know how to use it in food)

Strawberries

First Happy one

Strawberries are fresh & delegate, available very much (I got lucky to go during correct time of Strawberry season 😁🥰🤗). In one stretch we have picked 2.5 kilo grams of Strawberries. I was badly tempted to pick more (wanted to ask if I can get a berry picking job 🤪). But thinking of usage we had to stop. The taste of the berries are real fresh, it can not anyway compared to the fruits that are available in Super markets usually. 
My Kid enjoyed a lot, seeing the plants and colorful bunch of strawberries. Kids will absolutely love it. 

Handful of Fresh Strawberries

Considering the Sun and time, made a payment and left from the farm. I even asked few questions about the plantation and season timing for Strawberry, and Staff members answered me happily. 😊 

Small Pond (Mini Picnic Spot): 

There is a small pond close to the farm. We walked near by the pond and found a grass land and few trees (should keep an eye on smaller kids), spent an hour of picnic time, with Snacks, Lunch and Play. 🥰

Wanna play in those clouds Mamma

Return

Bus timings are not frequent, so had to reach Bus stop earlier, we left bit before. On return checked in reception about other vegetables or fruits that are possible to pick throughout the year, I got to know from Staff member that Pumpkins will be available during Halloween Party. Hopefully if we visit during that time, we can see big big Yellow Pumpkins. 😉

Bonus: After return, we didn't know how fast we have finished the Strawberry, just as a fruit. Earlier I had a thought, 'Oh this may not be finished soon. I had to make it as a Jam and preserve'. But soon it vanishes. 😂

1/4 th of picked berries

Definitely its a worthy day of spending with some new experience, taste and happiness. One must try this.😍🤞🏻

Tips

  • Choose a Strawberry Self-picking place, which is convenient for you. Since there are quite a few places are available around Stockholm. 
  • Confirm about availability of fruit and timings for the place if any, by visiting their website or Social Media handle or by Calling them. Here I provide the Social Media page of the place I visited. 
  • Check for weather if it will comfortable. 
  • Plan the transportation route and timings for both Arrival and Return as Bus frequency is less. Personal cars might be great, if available. 
  • Take some boxes or bowls to pack the Strawberries you have picked. Boxes provided there are not great to carry them back home. 
  • If you could find a place with more variety of berries and vegetables also, it will be too good. Since you can experience and knew about all stuffs on one day. 
  • Better to visit from Mid of June to Mid of July. 
  • Check for prices per kilogram of strawberries before picking, as it might be an important aspect to decide on how much Quantity to pick. (I didn't mention the price as it might vary time to time)

With this I will complete my story. Thanks tons for reading this blog. People who are able to try Self-Picking anywhere you are in the world, please give a try. I hope you had good experiences through my blog. Leave a comment if you wish I want share similar or different things. 😊



 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader's View - What We Pass on to Our Daughters - Book by Manisha Yadav

Importance of Books & wonderful Books recommendation for us by Mr.Kamal Haasan during Big Boss 4 Tamil show